Veterans Service Officer
About This Office
Mission Statement - The County Veterans' Service Office was created by state statute to assist veterans and their dependents in times of need, or to file for all County, State or Federal benefits earned by virtue of the military veteran's service to a grateful Nation and the State of Nebraska. The Veterans' Service Officer serves under the direction of the Veterans' Service Committee appointed by the Board of Commissioners. Veterans' Service is accomplished by:
- Being sensitive and helpful to veterans/dependents in their time of need.
- Providing assistance and counseling to veterans and their families.
- Initiating and completing claims to be submitted to the VA Regional Office, Nebraska Department of Veterans' Affairs, or other appropriate agencies with accuracy and professionalism.
- Maintaining the highest level of training and education to best serve veterans.
- Serving as a trusted and respected partner in collaboration with other agencies when assisting veterans.
Services Of This Office
The Cherry County Veterans' Service Office assists with, but is not limited to the following County, State and Federal Benefits:
County Veterans' Benefits
- County Veterans' Aid Fund (CVA). To meet immediate emergency financial needs.
- Flag Holders. For placement on the grave of every veteran buried in Cherry County.
- Homestead Exemptions. Assist with completion and filing with the County Assessor.
State Veterans' Benefits.
- Nebraska Veterans' Aid Fund (NVA). For unforeseen emergency financial need.
- Waiver of Tuition. For state college/university cost to qualified spouses or children.
- Discharges. Replacement of lost military service records (DD-214).
- Grave Registration. Report of grave location for veterans buried in the State.
- Veterans' Home System. Complete application for residency in a Veterans' Home.
Federal Veterans' Benefits.
- Service Connected Disability Compensation.
- Non-Service Connected Pensions. Veterans or Widow(er)s.
- Education and Vocational Rehabilitation. Including GI Bill and disability retraining.
- Life Insurance. VGLI/NSLI or Disability.
- Burial Benefits. Grave marker application and burial allowance assistance.
- VA Home Loan Programs. Residential and improvement for handicap improvement.
- Health Care. VA Medical Center inpatient and outpatient services.
- Long Term Nursing Home Care. For veterans rated at 70% or higher.
- Military Records. Discharge upgrades and location or service and medical records.